St. Mel School Philosophy
St. Mel Elementary School embodies the teachings, values and beliefs of the Catholic Church. We serve our mission by providing a compassionate, nurturing atmosphere in which students develop a solid moral character, realize their fullest potential and share their gifts with others. All that we do is rooted in love, the teachings of Jesus Christ, prayer and Eucharistic celebrations.
St. Mel Elementary School recognizes that parents have the primary responsibility to educate their children. In partnership with them and the larger St. Mel community, the faculty and staff endeavor to develop all students’ spiritual, academic, social, emotional, and physical potential. Students emerge from St. Mel Elementary School well prepared for their next step as active Catholics and contributing members of their community.
* Catholic beliefs and values are taught at grade-appropriate levels
* Christian service is emphasized
* Classes attend Mass weekly
* Phonetic-based instruction in kindergarten
* Reading remediation/enrichment by trained specialist* School-wide writing program across all subjects
Science and Math
* Hands-on discovery learning beginning in kindergarten
* Specialized math teachers
* Concepts of algebra, geometry, and statistics are interwoven throughout the curriculum beginning in kindergarten
* Small, skill-based math groups for 5th – 8th grades
* Algebra taught in 7th (Pre-Alegebra) and 8th (Algebra) grades
* Full-time art teacher serving all grades
* Annual student art show
* Music beginning in kindergarten
* Choir* Musical Theater in Kindergarten through 6th grade* Drama club in 7th and 8th grades
* One to one mobile devices (iPad) from Kindergarten to Eighth Grade* Computer lab and mobile laptop cart* SMARTboards in every classroom* Journalism/Newspaper class in 8th grade
* Research, critical thinking skills and analysis of web-based information are stressed
* Sports (soccer, football, volleyball, swimming, cheer leading, field hockey, basketball, tennis, golf, and track)
* After-school enrichment programs (coding, chess, science, art, dance, math, robotics, tae kwon do etc.)
* After-school homework club
* Full-time school nurses
* Coach John Wooden’s Pyramid of Success character-building program
* High level of parental involvement
* Student-produced newspaper
Kindergarten and 1st grade: 7:50 am to 2:45 pm, Monday through Thursday, 7:50 am to 12:20 pm on Fridays
2nd through 8th grades: 7:50 am to 3:00 pm Monday through Thursday, 7:50 am to 12:30 pm on Fridays.
Before-school and after-school care are available.